Saturday, February 6, 2010

Toss-it-in-the-pot Clam Chowder

I'm going to be honest. The Hungry Hubby is not a soup-eater. Frankly, I can't even get him to try most stews beyond the meat and potatoes. Chili, he will eat; soup, to him, is to be reserved only for times of sickness (and then it is to be "Chicken-and-Stars"). 
Well, The Hungry Hubby is not joining us for lunch today. 
He has to work. 

So soup it is! (CHOWDA!!)


I love Clam Chowder. Although I was born and raised below the Mason-Dixon line, my Mother is from a well-established family from New England; because of this heritage I have come to love and cook New England favorites such as this chowder. 

I frequently make chowder to meet my tastes, changing as I go. Today's chowder includes: 
 

Red Potatoes
Celery
Carrots
Green Onions
2 Cans of whole baby clams
1 Bottle of Clam Juice
4 Cloves of Garlic, chopped
1 Shallot, chopped
4 Tablespoons Butter
Pepper, Sea Salt and Red Chili Flakes, to taste
1 1/2 Cups of Heavy Cream mixed with 1/2 cup 2% milk

   

1. Over medium heat, add garlic, shallot and red potatoes (cut into chunks) to a large pot with the butter. 

2. Add enough water to the pot to cover the potatoes. 
3. Once the water is heated through, add the chop carrots and the whole bottle of clam juice to the soup.
 

4. After simmering for about 5 minutes, add the celery and season with the salt (you want it to be salty to bring out the clam flavor), pepper, and chili flakes.

5. While the pot is on a good simmer, after the potatoes are soft enough for a fork to go through easily, chop the green onions. Add the chopped green onions and the two cans of clams to the mix. (Do NOT drain the clams, EVERYTHING goes into the pot!)
6. Bring the chowder to a boil, stirring occasionally.  

 

7. Once the chowder has boiled for a few minutes, turn down the heat and SLOWLY stir-in the cream/milk mix. (If you add the cream to fast while the pot is boiling, you risk having the cream "turn funny".)

8. Allow the chowder to simmer over medium heat for 15-25 minutes; at least until until the carrots and celery are soft enough to eat. Taste the chowder and add seasoning as needed. 

 

Serve on it's own, or with some crusty grilled bread and butter. (I'm hoping I can eventually give you a GF "crusty bread" tutorial soon -- but I'm still working on it!)

So, The Hungry Hubby may be missing out on this meal, but my Hungry Mimi came by and had TWO big bowls!

P.S.: This chowder will last (covered) in the 'fridge for several days. I have been known to personally polish-off an entire pot of chowder over the course of several days...it heats up well!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment