Friday, February 5, 2010

Easy "fancy" pasta sauce

So tonight, The Hungry Hubby wanted "just plain pasta and sauce". However, "plain sauce" has never really appealed to me. It makes me think of that old Prego vs. Ragu commercial-- watery pasta sauce = yuck. 
So, I made pasta and sauce, but we compromised and I jazzed it up a bit. Otherwise, it's like I'm cheating if a meal is not at least somewhat-homemade. 

For this sauce, I used the following ingredients:
 

If you can't tell from the picture, the spices I grabbed were red pepper flakes, basil, parsley, thyme, sea salt and black pepper. I also had GF spagehetti, leftover sauce from another meal, ground chuck, vine tomatoes, EVOO, garlic and some parm shreds. 

1. While boiling the water for the pasta, go ahead and heat up some EVOO in a pan, and brown a couple cloves of (chopped or crushed) garlic. 

  

2. Add the beef and brown it, seasoning to taste. When the meat is brown, roughly chop your tomatoes and add them to the mix. Stir once in a while, until the tomatoes look stewed, but before they get mushy. 


 

3. Add the pasta sauce and heat through. 
 

4. When the pasta is done, drain it and toss it with the sauce.

 
 

5. Serve topped with your shredded parm. 


P.S.: The Hungry Hubby loved the sauce, but picked out all the tomato bits, for fear that they were "slimy" (they're not). I love him, but he can be (ironically) a bit of a finicky eater. 

Anyone else have that problem?

No comments:

Post a Comment