Monday, March 8, 2010

Mexican Coca-Cola: muy refresco

The first time I went to Mexico was a "girls trip" to Puerto Vallarta with my Mother and her mother - it was so much fun! 

Although I didn't buy any traditional touristy items, I did bring back with me a great love of Mexican soft drinks - the perfect accessory to my already well known, debilitating, addiction to Mexican food! 
("Addiction" is the best word to describe it - this baby is going to come out of the womb with the ability to order dinner in Spanish!) 

So, imagine my overwhelming joy when I discovered that my local Sam's Club now carries the elusive, glass-bottled version of Coca-Cola that bears the all important "Hecho En Mexico" mark!

If you have never tried Mexican-made Coke, I urge you to run, not walk, to your local mercado to grab a bottle of this stuff. 

What makes Mexican Coke different from regular American Coke? 
Two words: CANE SUGAR 

You see, (as anyone who has read The Omnivore's Dilemma can tell you) American companies use high fructose corn syrup instead of a "real" sugar, because it's cheaper to produce; because cheaper ingredients = cheaper production cost, there is more profit to be had! 

"But Coca-Cola is an American company! Why is the same product different when it is made south-of-the-border?" Want to know why? 
Coca-Cola has many bottling plants around the world. Each bottling plant gets the "secret formula" from Coca-Cola, but is responsible for putting in their own sugar and water in the mix. 

And in Mexican bottling plants, that sugar (thankfully) comes from actual sugar cane. A small change which creates a HUGE difference in the taste of the product. 
(And, if you ask me, the GLASS bottle makes a huge difference in the taste of the soda because it is a non-reactive container) 

 

Aren't they beautiful? (Check out the stickers with the nutritional content on them- those little babies make them legal for sale in the USA)

So, give yourself a treat and have one of these little beauties over ice today! 

(Soon, you will be like The Hungry Hubby and I, buying them by the case, and filling your laundry-room shelves with these tall, black bottles!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment